Saturday, May 5, 2007

MTV Takes In-Content Advertising To A Whole New Level

Earlier this week I blogged about DVRs and the fact that that they are changing our media landscape. Today I saw something that could potentially change advertising in a whole new way.

I'm a fan of the current reality show "Run's House" which airs on MTV. I DVR the show and watch it later when I have some time. While doing some housework I had the show playing in the background and was in and out of the room. I did happen to stop and pay attention though during a critical time during the show.

For those of you not familiar with the show, it is a reality series that follows the family of Joseph Simmons, also known as the Reverend Run from "80s" rap group RUN DMC. They are an extremely wealthy family and with five children you can imagine it's a show full of entertainment. However, back to the point.

The lead-in promo for the show featured the Reverend's two daughters pitching a new line of women's athletic sneakers to uncle Russel Simmons, who is the CEO of Phat Farm clothing line. So as a viewer I was already trained to be prepared for this moment. When the daughters approached Uncle Simmons I stopped the work I was currently doing and tuned in. Before daughter Angela could finish her sentence, something happened that caused me to dive across the room for the remote.

Angela was just getting ready to being a sentence when all of a sudden MTV went directly into a promo. There was no chance for me to even think twice about changing the channel or fast forwarding with my DVR. Remember, I was watching this program after I recorded it so I had the chance to skip this promo.

But MTV didn't give me that chance and I found myself with eyes tuned in to the promo for "Scarred" a new show on MTV that features young snowboarders, skatboarders, bike riders, and others, falling down and breaking bones all while being video taped as it happens. The show is absolutely graphic and not for those with weak stomachs but never the less, not the point of this blog.

I was in absolute shock when this promo began. Just seconds earlier I was waiting for the show to hit it's plot line; then seconds later I was watching a promo for a show that I typically can't watch because it damn near makes me sick. The truth is though I was confused about the whole situation. I thought MTV had made a programming mistake and accidentally cut into their ad block early. This was no accident though.

I watched the entire promo, which may have lasted 20 seconds. At the end, a black screen with white text read, "now back to your program." Since I was watching this program with my DVR I rewound three times to see the seamless transition between the show and promo. I'm still blown away by it.

Now you might be thinking, "What's the big deal?" The truth is, I've never seen in-content advertising quite like this. I challenge anyone to prove to me that they had time to change the channel and miss the ad or fast-forward if they were later watching with their DVR; like myself.

Many advertiers pay a premium for in-content advertising on programs such as morning shows in local markets or cable news programs. A lot of times it is a sponsorship or product placement they are writing the check for. Although it is effective advertising for branding or product launch, it doesn't give the viewer a call to action opportunity or tell the viewer what to do. In-content advertising such as the spot I noticed today will change this landscape. That is if MTV continues and other networks adapt.

It's possible that MTV is one of a few networks that can actually get away with something like this because of their target audience. MTV caters to teens and young adults aged between 16-24. That being said, these viewers are going to be less likely to file a complaint on the grounds that MTV is interrupting their valued program to show promos and advertisements.

It is however my opinion that other networks had better follow suite and give the opportunity to their advertisers. With growing concerns over the fact that consumers are not staying tuned through the advertisements, these spots give the advertiser a better feeling that their ad is actually going to be seen. I believe the network can charge three to five times the cost for an in-content ad to run similiar to the one referenced here. Advertisers also have the chance to tailor a message around the program they would run in. Instead of the words, "now back to your program" at the end of the spot, they could have gotten creative with something that was relevant to the program I was tuned in to.

Stay on the look out for more in-content spots like this one and be prepared to see them in your favorite program.

No comments: