Saturday, May 5, 2007

MSN Remains Microsoft Weakest Business Component

Although I find it hard to believe with all the pages of content and information, MSN continues to lag at Microsoft. Click here to read the full article.
I understand MSN is third in search behind obvious leaders Google and Yahoo, however with all the info that MSN provides I would believe they should generate even more revenue than the already $600+ million a quarter. There are plenty of pages to sell banner advertising on and I see more opportunity with online video. Maybe MSN should focus more on the aspects of destination content and more video from content partners. I see more opportunity for MSN here but it appears Search is the only thing they are working on improving.

However you can't blame them. Search is the revenue model to be jealous of online. I'm currently reading a book by John Battelle called "The Search." I highly recommend this book by the Wired co-founder. It goes in depth on the history of search and how Google came to be number one. Order it. If you have any interest in Search then you will enjoy it. Truth be told I thought I was buying a book about the history of Google from a biography standpoint but it's about much more than that.

Anyways though, back to MSN. As the typical consumer, I don't view MSN as a search site. I view it as a news and content site. I view it as the perfect site for Females 25-54 who are interested in health and entertainment info. I also view it as a great place to find aggregated news from across the country. Maybe MSN should just accept their role as number three and focus on other aspects of improving content to increase revenue.


No comments: