Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Local TV Stations Using Mobile Applications To Reach YOU

Local TV stations are now beginning to use mobile applications to reach their audiences. The only question remains is how can it be monetized? Click here to read the full article at Mediaweek.com

Many of the stations are toying with the idea of using a subscription model for an average of $2.99 per month or using an advertising model to profit.

I applaud local tv stations for being innovative and looking at new revenue opportunities. I still have a hard time believing that this is going to be successful outside of the top 15 markets. I don't even know if it will be successful outside of the top 10 markets. Mobile applications are great for the consumer who spends a significant amount of time commuting via bus, ferry, and of course subway, but as we know it is only the major markets where the majority commute this way.

So if I wake up and watch the AM News, then get into my car and drive less than 20 minutes to work; why do I need a mobile application to watch the news or other local content? By the time I reach my desk I can just log onto the local tv stations web site.

So you can see why I'm skeptical of the idea of mobile applications.

Post your comments here and tell me your thoughts as to why mobile applications for local tv stations may be successful.

No comments: